I never have enough time in the morning to prepare a good breakfast. I need something that I can grab on the run. Lately I've been trying to prepare something the night before. I made these a long time ago and remembered how good they were so I decided to make up a bunch of these tonight. Just grab a couple of them, zap in the microwave until warm and out the door you go. No need for utensils! And this recipe is actually healthy, so that's a plus.
Sausage and Egg Breakfast Muffins
prep time: 10 minutes ~ cook time: 40 minutes
makes: 24 muffins ~ WW PP: 2 per muffin
1 - 16 oz package of Butterball Turkey Breakfast Sausage
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped*
9 oz fresh mushrooms (small container), chopped*
1/4 cup fat free half and half
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup low fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins by spraying with cooking spray.
2. Chop spinach and mushrooms.
3. Cook spinach and mushrooms with turkey sausage in a skillet over medium to medium-high temperature until done.
4. While spinach, mushrooms and turkey is cooking, crack eggs into a large bowl.
5. Add fat free half and half, seasonings and garlic and mix well.
6. Equally divide sausage mixture between 24 muffin cups.
7. Top each with a small pinch of cheese.
8. Add egg mixture to the top of each muffin cup, approximately 1/4 cup in each tin.
9. Bake for approximately 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
10. Serve warm.
*Although I used spinach and mushrooms, you can substitute any veggie of your choice in this recipe. It is especially good with red and green peppers with onions, or with broccoli. Sometimes I even add a small can of chopped green chiles to give it a real southwestern taste.
These can be frozen and thawed in the microwave as needed. I usually just keep them in the fridge as they don't last that long!